Sunday, April 11, 2004


I've been wanting to write about my experience at a shelter for kids.. Sometime back I visited Udavum Karangal. This translates to 'My Helping Hands' in Tamil. A gentleman called Mr.Vidyakar started this shelter for kids abandoned by their parents, and also for serving mentally sick people, way back in 1983.

I visited the place out of curiosity. Was quite nervous initially. But the people there were very warm. Its common culture here to take of your shoes outside a home. I took them off at the reception. A young volunteer led me to the creche.. there was one kid who was only a week old. I don't remember how many there were, but you couldn't count all those kids on your fingers. Their eyes just lit up when they saw us (I was accompanied by my Aunt and Uncle). Twas as if they were waiting for us, and rather, expecting us.. Most of the kids were girls. In spite of so much media attention and fuss that our politicians make, one such visit and you know what the ground reality is.

We had brought fruits and biscuits for the kids. A notice put up at the reception mentioned a need for nappies, horlicks and bedsheets. So we enquired why they didn't inform us, for we could have brought those things as well.. And the volunteer says 'We want to encourage people to share with these kids, whatever they wish to, voluntarily; that's why we never demand anything from our donors'. Come to think about it, all I've always thought about is : 'If God gave me three wishes, what would I ask for ?' Shux.. There are such content people on this Earth. I have a lot to learn. A lot.

The volunteer then took us to the Kids Dormitory. They all lined up and accepted the stuff with a huge smile and 'Thank You'. We distributed the biscuits to the mentally sick people as well.. they were unlike anything portrayed on TV. That's bullshit. Everybody smiled. They thanked us. And when we began to leave, they clasped our hands as a warm gesture. No screams. No wailing. No madmen.

I don't feel like visiting temples and chanting mantras for eternal good.. anymore. I was really happy after my Udavum Karangal visit. It gave me the peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home