Monday, June 06, 2005

Was pretty unsure if my trip would work out, for my ticket was listed as Waitlist 3 when the Computerised Railway Ticketing System shut down for the day, last evening. Anyhow, I just crossed my fingers and reached the station at an unearthly 0630hrs. I was praying for an RAC (Reservation-against-cancellation) status, that way I'd atleast get to board the 2nd AC coach. But if it stayed WL, I would not be permitted to board the train at all ! As luck would have it, my ticket was confirmed.

2nd AC travel is a luxury. I could feel the difference. To begin with, everybody accompanying me on the journey was sophisticated. Nobody spoke to anybody. Everyone stressed on their 'Please' and 'Thankyous'. Even to the coffee/tea/soup vendor. People were courteous to turn off the light so that the neighbour could sleep, and leave mine on, so that I could continue reading. Everybody's cell was functional throughout the journey (Heck.. cellular roaming costs so much moolah man!). The Coachmen didn't ask anybody to pay upfront while ordering food. Instead, each individual was billed throughout the journey and the money was collected just before we got to our destination.And best of all, everybody folded their quilts when the Coachman returned to collect them.

The toilet had a fan, fluorescent tube-lighting, tiles (instead of the canvas floor that adorns the inferior Sleeper class), and even a porcelain sink with pedestal. The tap was not the push-button variety, and they even had a liquid soap-dispenser. Only the Kimberley-Clark tissue dispenser was conspicuously absent !

A 2nd AC train journey can really boost your ego. The pampering was royal. Incidentally, my coach also had 1st AC compartments in it. And I was amused to find a uniformed coach attendant sweep the (already) spotless interiors clean. Furthermore, there were none of the irritating eunuchs to harass us throughout the journey. No blind men. No patients of leprosy. No kid who could slide her body through a ring, and absolutely nobody to throw peanut shells on the floor.

Me being me, just had to find my way to the Pantry car, for I like my food fresh.. I crossed the 3rd AC coaches to get to the Pantry. The place was a ruckus. There was a noisy din just as I entered the 3rd AC compartment. There were more people than seats available. The floor was soiled and kids hopped around. The AC also didn't seem effective. I was disgusted with the sight. These were co-passengers, but only paying a little less.

Its the same everywhere. The more you're willing to pay, the better you'll get treated. But this was 3rd AC, which was more expensive than Sleeper class. How bad was that ?

I liked the 2nd AC experience. It was of an India I did not know, which exists. I hate it when money dicates worth. Thank God, life's not a journey by train.

3 Comments:

Blogger M Rex said...

India is the best place to live on the whole damn world if you have got money .

Fri Jun 10, 10:37:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hamara Bharat mahan
-jaya

Sun Jun 12, 07:50:00 pm  
Blogger Just Me said...

I did not like the experience because of the money spent and the good service received, but because it surprised me.

More like 'shock and awe'. Did not expect it. Enjoyed it while it lasted. But not craving for it.

Point is. Why can't Indians in the service sector be taught to be nice to everybody ?

Mon Jun 13, 01:18:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home