Saturday, May 29, 2004

I finally donated blood today. Well, its not because there weren't enough occasions that came my way earlier.. Let's say I was just too damn scared to do it before. Somebody posted an ad for a friend's ailing mother. She needed A+ blood. And I decided to Just do it.

Blood donation was quicker, fun and less fearsome than I expected. I went to the Apollo Hospital Blood Bank on Greams Road. They make you fill up a donor card and most of the info filled in there is taken for granted. Questions like:
1. Have you suffered from any viral illness in the past one year ?
2. Are you on any medication ?
3. Have you consumed alcohol in the last 12hrs. ?
I suppose you're supposed to have a 'no' for all those questions. And they assume that you know your blood group when you enter it on the card.

You're supposed to be over 45kgs. in weight and can donate blood every three months. And then they make you lie down. One prick, and the nurse tells you that's for heamoglobin ? Yeah what about my heamoglobin ? Don't expect an answer.

Then she fixed the sphygomanometer apparatus. For the uninitiated, that's your friendly BP Machine; was asked to squeeze a foam ball. And then the needle was in, and the 'Blood Collecting Machine' was switched on, which apart from making an irritating whirring sound, didn't do much apart from rocking the pouch in which the blood was being collected.

People around me knew immediately that this was a first time donor because I asked for a magazine to spend my time. The Head nurse stared at me as if I had uttered some obscenity, and goes 'It takes only 5 minutes'. Oh really ?

Before I finished viewing on TV: some freakish dance being performed by a Chiranjeevi lookalike in silver pants, the blood collection was over. I was asked to lie for another 5mins. And then requested to relax on the couch. Refreshments in the form of a Jam bun and coffee were served. And then, you may go.

Outside, at the reception was this 50+ year-old, distraught looking man. The nurse was really loud while saying 'I won't give your patient blood from our bloodbank because you are not willing to donate blood for your own relative'. She was absolutely delirious. Why would this man not donate blood for his own ailing relative. It seems nobody in his family was willing to donate blood either. Strange people in our human race.

There was also this other really-upset Nepali man. The Nurse was sweet with him, he hadn't been able to arrange enough blood for his loved one. But had got some offers from a few 'Professional' blood donors - these chaps sell their blood. But the Bloodbank doesn't seem to entertain them. Atleast, the nurse didn't seem to encourage the idea.

While leaving, I read the other messages.
No strenuous exercises for the next 12hours.
Consume lots of fluids.
Remove the band-aid after four hours.
No alcohol or smoking for the next 12hrs.

I also confirmed that 3month figure. Yes, you can donate once every three months. And upto the age of 60. A quick calculation gives me the years of donor life left in me. That gets you 37yrs. x 4times a year = 148units of blood in my life time. 147 more to go !

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the vampires are hunting too!
- dragon

Fri May 28, 08:17:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting. blood donation almost drives home a point - we have so much to give that can affect lives and yet is no trouble to our being. like most things, its a choice - we choose to give. by not giving, we are letting that potential be - and mere knowlegde of that potential is useless without the will to act on it. blood, money, time, effort. i guess the question always is - are we giving it the best we can. way to go, mfc. or like you put it - 147 to go.

-yellowsign

Sat May 29, 09:22:00 am  
Blogger Amit Jain said...

147 to go !!! Whoops!!! Sounds impressive.

Mon Jul 26, 05:50:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home