Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Well Well Well. They gave me news that I need to report to Mumbai immediately. It was no surprise. But I did not expect my transfer orders to come in this fashion.

A lot of good things have been happening in my life lately. And a grand party at Geoffery's, Radha Park Inn, on Jawaharlal Nehru Salai was certain tonight. Mumbai has happened for good. I've got a more responsible role at work. And that's one city that is sure to teach me more about life..

So it was the gang - Kaus, Shameel, Mhzhk, Zerish, Shom, Cheeru, Dil, Pondy, Maddy & Suddy. Cheeru was kind enough to scan the Menu and place this fantabulous order - Rough Seas Pitcher, Mango Madness, Strawberry Lemonade, Sea Green, Long Beach Iced Tea Pitcher, Bloody Mary and finally, Ambrosia. It was crazy. With all that stuff going down our throats, and a superb DJ playing the tracks that were just right for the moment - all of us were rocking to the music.

Initially there was only one couple dancing. Then the party got grander with the Lady coming up to us and asking us all to join in. Believe me, she did not ask any other group to join in. There must be definitely be something she saw in all of us. And we all shook the place like anything..

Somewhere around 12:30AM we realized that dinner was still on our To-Do list. AFAIK, IITM has one lovely place called Dhaba Express which is open till a cool 1:30AM mostly. The only problem was that we could all walk ten steps straight - but no Cop would buy it.

But we took the risk. Shom led the way and Maddy suggested driving thru T-Nagar to get to IITM faster. Now we know not to ever take Maddy's suggestions. Especially at an odd midnight hour.

We were greeted by some 4 Cops, complete with Jeep, Lathis and everything. Cheeru has a Hawk's eye when spotting Cops - because he's never got his scooter's papers. I realized that there was a Cop ahead after I was 26inches away from squashing him. Too late.

I have never been so terrified in Chennai. I definitely had a strange breath. And I didn't speak Tamil. I couldn't imagine how bad it would get.

But when already in trouble, its better to face it - keeping the helmet on. I just turned off my lights as the Cop waved his baton. Promptly turned off the engine as well. Smoothly opened my Toolbox and produced this plastic sheet enclosing a bunch of white sheets - photocopies of all my documents.

The act was so smoothly done that the Cop assumed I had everything right (I did, except my breath smelled corny). He just said, 'Go'. That was the fastest 0 to 60 (kmph) I had done in Chennai till date.

I guess he let the others go as well - because they looked like these cute school kids who had come to Anna Nagar to eat Pizza and were now returning home in Adyar.

Just when you think the surprise is over, you're greeted by another. The second stop was opposite Raj Bhavan. The Cops were not noticeable in the dark and they were stopping everyone - especially bikers. These guys looked really mean.

I tried to repeat the same thing over. It didn't work. The Cop asked 'Drinks saaptingla ?' From the limited Tamil I know, this translates to 'Have you had drinks ?' Its a good habit to say 'Tamil Teriada' when you have nothing else to say. It means 'I don't know Tamil'.

The Cop was not amused. 'You're saying you don't know Tamil, in fluent Tamil', he said. I just stared blankly. I had no clue what he was saying (Dil explained that to me later).

So he started bickering. He said you guys all smell weird. And had we had drinks ? I don't know how Dil came up with this but he told the Cop in Tamil - "Yes Saar. I am totally drunk. In fact, that is the reason I am sitting behind this fellow who is not".

Can you believe he let us go ? Neither did we.

The dinner at IITM was fabulous. Cheeru arrived before us. He took a detour to avoid the Cops by riding thru Guindy.

We had tons of Lassi and really well-prepared food. It had been a brilliant evening and I knew I was going to miss my time here.

It was somewhere at 0200hrs that I realized that this was the place where I set up base after arriving in Chennai - the first time 2.5yrs ago. It was ironic that I was celebrating my last dinner inside the same campus..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home