Monday, August 23, 2004

Caught up with Mansukh at Elco's Chaat in Bandra. Back home in Chennai, Mansukh's entry into Adyar Sangeetha meant trouble for the staff. Its normal for complete strangers to share a table with you in Chennai. But Mansukh would have none of it.

Once this gentleman nearly sat opposite him at Sangeetha saying 'Do you mind if I sit here?' The 'I do' reply from Mansukh stopped traffic at Sangeetha. It was hilarious. That's why when news of his shifting to Mumbai came thru, he chose to celebrate at Mövenpick ! It had been quite a while since I met the guy who set up his blog to get a gmail invite ! Spent the rest of the lazy afternoon at Barista, discussing his expedition to some caves near Mumbai.. of how he slipped in the terrain, ripped his shoes, and walked barefoot over fresh cow-dung.

Took the bus to Colaba. Crossing Regal brought back memories of 1993, when Mumbai was home. Colaba looked different. Brighter lights. As we headed down, Afghan Church, the Aditi-Ahilya buildings, and maybe if I had sat till the last stop, I'd be asked to get off at RC Church. Had been a long time.

Spent the last part of the evening at Major Gopal's place. I don't know how I would handle life if I were to lose my sight completely. This man does. As normal as it gets. My sis and he were fieldwork partners last year and she told me how much fun it is to have an Armyman as a classmate.. Apparently, the faculty found Gopal's style of sitting upright very 'uncomforting'. This gentleman would be somewhere in his thirties, but the way he and his wife hosted me, and the rest of his TISS peers, was frankly, quite amusing.

Things that one should not do in Mumbai - mistakenly read Mumbai CST on the ticket for Mumbai Cen. Central and CST are different. Many thanks to the nameless Mumbai taxi driver. I made it to CST just-in-time. Was stirred, not shaken.. Ha ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home