Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Today the rain got even better. I wasn't able to stay asleep beyond 0453hrs. So generally woke up and started leafing thru the four-weeks-overdue Keynote: A collection of JRD's speeches. I've been trying really hard to finish it. The section on Air-India and the Maharaja made interesting reading at those early hours. I pushed off for Tennis at the Krishnan Tennis Centre at 0620hrs. I usually take my Mach1, but there was them weird sounds coming from the axle and I took my baby for a spin instead.

Some Government Organization is more than happy screwing up the Old Mahabalipuram Road these days, and the road is now reduced to a dirt-track. Thanks to the rain, the Water Tankers and Public Transport buses that frequent that route, there's muck uniformly spread all over the route.

KTC wore a desserted look. The clay courts weren't usable at all. The support staff were running around frantically to dry up the hardcourts with their sponge rollers.

I decided to pursue the customary warm-up. Mr. Ramesh Krishnan was there. His genuine concern for us enthusiasts reflects in the words he utters. "Careful. That part's slippery." He's also the only person who'll enquire if 'am hurt, even as my OWN doubles partner ignores me for that unnecessary fall to get the ball. And so I proceeded with my warm-up with more care.

The drizzling didn't stop. But Man, do I enjoy warming up in the rain. Soon it began to pour. The warm-up was now unnecessary. By now, I was pretty sure there'd be no tennis today. Rested. It was around 0730hrs. The downpour had reduced to a drizzle again. Decided to return home. She was wet all over. I expected a starting tantrum. But she started up in one go. The better halves never cease to surprise. He he.

I loved my ride back home. It started to pour again. I hadn't brought my helmet along. But it turned out to be a lovely ride at the slow, yet steady pace. The rain lashing in my face. I don't know what's with the rain, but I had enjoyed getting soaked to the skin. Bliss.

That Veerappan dude got shot allright. Its interesting that I've met the person who was responsible for the final assault that got the most wanted criminal in India.

K Vijay Kumar


Supercop K Vijay Kumar. The Press claims he's 52. I've pondered how big this gentleman could have made it, if he were in the movies. Had shook hands with him when he was Commissioner of Police, Chennai. And was mightily impressed. Not much was spoken. But some people have it in them. That aura thing.

His being relieved as Commissioner made a lot of bad press. And now he's in the news for having headed the Special Task Force that brought down the Sandalwood King. I like this rise and fall thing. Only thing is, do I have the guts to fight the doldrums ?

1 Comments:

Blogger M Rex said...

Where did you meet him,that day when you spent the night behind the bars eh??

Mon Oct 25, 09:34:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home