Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Was at Benjarong on TTK Road tonight. Me thinks the last time I tried this kinda food was on a Thai Airways flight. It was bland. Am pretty unsure of what I ate. Was too busy concentrating on the lovely hostesses.

This place has a neat decor. Its the first time I've seen a circular dining table at a restaurant (had that really homely look to it). Music was flutes and pipes. There were two Thai women in their traditional attire. One of them was carving out floral patterns out of fruits and vegetables. All her movements were very practised. Very mechanical. Its a pity that they did not smile even once. So it was kinda messed up.

Me tried the honey on the table. I dunno why I felt it had some citric flavouring in it, but it was finished before the food arrived. Yum.

Sipped on an awesome natural strawberry fizz drink. And tried Cheeru's Ginger fizz as well. Burnt my throat. The waiter was recommending that ?!

Then, there was this brilliantly done chicken, for starters. Absolutely boneless, and then probably fried after wrapping it in coconut leaf. I dipped it in the ketchup-like accompaniment and it was finger-lickin good allright.

The main course had a lot of leaves in it. I was able to identify the spring onion stalks, but there was tons of this green leaf which had a sharp sting that annoyed me terribly. I wasn't too fascinated with the rice, but the noodles were well done. There's no bone or spine in anything. So the chicken and the fish were their very tender best. Everything tasted distinctly different from the masalas we use in India. Umm.. Its kinda nice I tried Thai food. Not sure if its the best of that cuisine, though.

Thankfully, dessert was classy. Am still wondering how they managed to serve vanilla ice-cream balls wrapped in some sort of mashed coconut covering. I don't fancy coconut in my food, but this was mouth-watering. That dish is a wonder.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your back!! 'Tis been a long while.
- P

Fri Dec 17, 11:19:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home